Monday, April 09, 2007

Is There a There in Cyberspace?

I thought this article and the other one, which covered something similar, were very interesting. Both seemed to come up with the fact that perhaps real life is better than cyber life. I have to agree. Real life is, well, real. You can touch things, see things, feel things, smell things, hear things, and experience REAL things. Online you're not REALLY doing any of that (ok, maybe seeing and hearing). The experiences that you have in online worlds are not real experiences. They have nothing to do with the real world. BUT, I have to say they are fun and aren't all that bad.

From my personal experience I enjoy real life much more than online life. I was one of those people that spent hours online in chat rooms and RPG games and websites. I was convinced, at first, that it was so much better than real life. But after a couple years of this I came to realize that it was a lonely life. I wasn't actually experiencing anything, I was just interacting in one big story.

But, like I said before, they aren't all bad as long as people understand that it isn't real. The problem is the people who get way too involved like in the "A Raper in Cyberspace" article. The man who did this was far too involved in the game (and a bit messed up in his head if you ask me). I think it is about time everyone finds something in real life to occupy their time and leave the internet for fun, information, and communication.

No comments: