Thursday, February 15, 2007

I recently received my coveted gmail account, only to find a link on the bill to ban social websites site saying that gmail (web-based email run by Google) is going to be available to everyone without invitation. Previously, you had to be invited to get a gmail account. This article was interesting to me, because I didn't realize that they scan your emails before you send them out. This adds to our Minority Report conversation. Read more about it here.

Does anyone know if other web-based email providers like Yahoo and MSN look through your emails to see which advertisement they should be sending your way?

John

3 comments:

tom peele said...

That is creepy and soothing at the same time. Creepy in that I didn't know it was happening, and I wonder who I am as a market statistic via scans of my e-mail. Soothing in the Brave New World way, where all of my needs are taken care of by a government that has essentially programmed me and therefore knows all my needs. 1932's version of the Matrix.

tom peele said...

If I want to link to this guy's site

VLF said...

Brave NEw World full text