Sunday, February 18, 2007

I found the introduction more interesting than the conclusion, but here goes nothing.

Gee talks about video games as a very promising, yet under-used resource for learning. Gee advocates video games as a form of learning, because "They operate with...good principles of learning, principles that are better than those in many of our skill-and-drill, back-to-basics, test-them-until-they-drop schools." One of those principles is called projective identity. The ablility to become a hero (regardless of their social standing) leads people to see outside of their surrounding, and influence people to be greater than they currently are. Video games can be used to teach values and morals, much like literary works.

Gee talks of a Mary Smith, who was a shoemaker's daughter who found opportunities to learn from like-minded people through their literary accomplishments. People have been shaped by literature through the ages, but there is no distinction on whether texts are left or right wing, because both sides can argue a point, and find canonical literature to support their claims. If you don't believe this, read the Statesman Editorials for a week or two. Look especially at the topic of homosexuality. The bible is used to argue valid points for each school of thought.

Please don't take this to mean that I think the Statesman Editorials are great literature!

Another topic that is discussed is the "dummying down" of education. Gee says that because schools are teaching to standardized tests, kids are not taught critical thinking skills to project themselves into situations where moral decisions come into play. "Schools have, by and large, tamed the canon." The idea of a canon of literature is not a list that Gee wants created, but rather any literature (and certainly video games) that have shaped, or will continue to shape people. For my personal canon, I would include such things as C.S. Lewis' "The Great Divorce," Lois Lowry's "The Giver," Ray Bradbury's "Farenheit 451," the musical Wicked, and music by too many people to list. If you want a list, feel free to ask me, but I don't want to monopolize any more of the space on this blog.

I find myself finding out more about myself when I am listening to new music, reading literature, and playing games. I use this projective identity, and have never really put my finger on exactly how I learn these things, but this puts a name to it. I enjoy finding out about new cultures/people/exeriences through exploring these venues, and even if I don't agree with them, I find out why. People need to be exposed to quality art forms so they can become independent thinkers who are not yes men.

John

No comments: