Sunday, February 04, 2007

"Effective Web Writing" By Crawford Killian

This piece concentrated on shaping textual writing for the digital environment, based on the audience one aims for. Because it seemed to set some guidelines for the medium, I will attempt to follow them.

Killian was firstly concerned with what makes the Web a bad place to read, citing the following as pitfalls of the digital environment:
- Like Pavlov's dogs conditioned for food after bell tones, we are conditioned for "jolts" (sensory and emotional rewards) after online actions, such as the loading of a web page. Killian's article gave me very few jolts.
- Reading off of computer screens is physically exhausting, and terrible resolution rates slow down reading rates by up to 25 percent. Computer screens also make it difficult to proofread accurately.
- Users of other media have carried their bad habits over to the online field, expecting the same visual stimulation, or strict formating they are accustomed to.

The author went on to reference Jefferey Zeldman, who classified Web users into four groups: viewers, users, readers, and listeners. Each group is very much as they would appear: viewers look for visual stimulation, and not much else; users search for data they can apply to their own causes; readers are in it for the long haul, pulling up text documents to actually READ them; listeners are like auditory readers, expecting a computer program to dictate a page to them. Killian posits that each of these groups has their goals in mind before even loading a site, and if they do not find what they need, they will move elsewhere. Using a constructivist communications model, Killian does away with unchangeable media, noting the user of a Web page can say "goodbye forever" to the page if they do not find what they want; it is most productive to be aware of one's audience on this level, and catering exactly to that. Killian describes this as "a relationship of equals" between web author and web user.

Basic Formatting Guidelines & Tips
- Keeping text simple, concise, and short seemed key the Web user is impatient.
- Chunks or blocks of text are more effective visually than one long scrolling page.
- Space between paragraphs helps to organize information.
- Use headlines and sub-headlines to draw attention and classify data.
- Put the needs of the visitor first!

Killian's points were insightful, and she obviously practices what she preaches. The text was easy to read, in a big, clear font, organized in the ways she recommended. Applying her guidelines from the "review yourself" section of the piece, her page accomplished what it was meant to very well. The content was geared towards an audience that really shouldn't care about appearance. The data was accessible and concise. I agree with most of what was said, I just desire to know when this was published--the font makes it seem dated to me. And I'm not sure if a static image or two still is not acceptable to place within a rich text document; a third party example would have been nice. I found her comparison to the printing press most interesting, as the political ramifications of that communications tool were vast: we can only expect to see such influence from the web in the future.

4 comments:

Johnny said...

I found the four genres of web users to be a bit restricting. I agree that people generally do one of those four things, but I find myself doing each of these, depending on the website. I think this is a vital part of digital literacy: taking the correct role to get the desired information.

I would have been interested to see the same website developed for each of the four audiences. Design is definitely a visual aspect, so why not show us with a visual representation?

jim said...

I agree with your content on restriction; she made it out to seem like the roles she gave us were static depending on the person.

As I read the article, I am a little ashamed to admit I had myspace, youtube, and pitchfork open in other windows. How's that for role reversal?

Jessica said...

I also agree that it seemed she was saying you are one of these and only one. But I definitely thought it had a lot of great information in there.
I agree with you John that it would have been interesting to change the website around for each viewer. That would be a lot of work though.

tom peele said...

I have to agree -- I don't really like Killian's ethos, as I've said in another post. His insistence, for one, that TV is a "bad habit." Like reading, t.v. can be a bad habit, but I don't really get the problem by being engaged by entertaining, relevant t.v. shows.

I also spend a lot of time reading long documents on the Web, or printing them to read in my chair as he says. I love Dale's comment about having several other windows open as he read the article -- now there's some digital literacy for you.

His discussion of audience reaffirms my position: we can generalize about this animal, but, like Bigfoot, I don't know if we can ever see it.